Tuesday 14 January 2014

A reflection

I’m afraid to say that this post marks the end of my blogging adventure. When I look back at my first post, I realised that when I started I had visions of adhering to some sort of structure, and I had laid out in my head the order that my blog would follow. However, as I have discovered since then, that’s not really what this has been about. Instead, this blog has given me the opportunity to explore issues relating to biodiversity change. I don’t think I can say I’ve ever truly been granted this opportunity through work before, there have been no constraints and I have really free to explore a topic that I am familiar with but in a way that I was totally new and refreshing!

I have explored biodiversity changes in the context of global environmental change, writing about topics such as transformation of the biosphere, and have discovered a whole new biome I never knew existed in glaciers and ice sheets! I have shared with you my passion for hedgerows which was a particular highlight of mine.


My opinion on issues of biodiversity certainly has changed, as I have become more engaged on a personal level. The anthropogenic threats that we have lumbered upon the other organisms that we share this planet with are serious, and I think there is a need for us all to engage. I really do believe that a lack of engagement and a sense of 'this does not affect me' is what is preventing collective and powerful action. This blog has shunned me of my 'textbook' attitude that I had been guilty of viewing real-life issues with, I have been forced to engage and I am very grateful!

Like never before, it's in our hands

No comments:

Post a Comment